Saturday, March 2, 2013

PhotoHunt: STEEL



In areas of the country where public utility vehicles are few and far between, passengers in a hurry to get home or have their produce brought to the market resort to "top loading" or riding on the roofs of vehicles, such as these men sitting atop this jeepney in the photo above. Some local government units have issued ordinances making top loading illegal due to obvious health and safety reasons but the practice still persists.

I've traveled via the method in one trip between two municipalities in Mountain Province north of Manila. I must say I understand why people opt for this unconventional seating arrangement: it was relatively less cramped on top, with a 360-degree view of the surrounding vistas, fresh air, cool breeze, plus an unwitting affirmation of one's masculinity as I have 'endured' the perils of top loading. And at the end of the day, it sure beats walking dozens of kilometers or waiting for hours for the next jeepney that will take me from Point A to Point B.

Have nerves of steel. Will travel.

Cagayan De Oro City, 2012, using a digicam.

2 comments:

  1. Nerves of steel indeed. Do many slip off?

    My steel pic is at http://hindmarsh-island.com/?p=1178

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha, nerves of steel is what's needed truly. haven't seen this but i'll definitely cringe in fear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit my blog! See you again next time here or in my main blog- So far, so good.